Saturday, February 23, 2013

What I Read: January

My sister, Ashley, is the kids & teens' book marketing manager for one of the top e-commerce sites and is always bringing me books that will be the next best thing or is the current top read. The books I read in January are all books that she dropped on my doorstep as "must reads" or books that found their way to her from other teams at work:

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
This book is currently on Ashley's radar and gaining momentum. Once I got my hands on a copy, I understood why...It is a very easy read about a mysterious girl who travels between the world we know and the underworld. (Or otherworld as we not quite sure what all she is involved in.)

The size of this book may intimidate you but I read it in a day as it is easy to devour. At first, it was challenging to get into it as you are immediately introduced to characters and worlds that it seems you are should understand but as the pages turn more and more is revealed just in time to suck you in until the end... or until you can get your hands on the next in the series.

The Absolutist by John Boyne
This is a story of two soldiers who are fighting in World War I and falling in love with each other at a time when homosexuality was illegal.

This book was heartbreaking due to the self hatred and loathing these characters experienced. This isn't a light read by any means but if you start to read it, one you must read until the end.
Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor
I could have sworn Ashley said that the Daughter of Smoke & Bone had a sequel... not two following books... which why I was eager to read this and finish the story that I started. Much like the first book, it follows the same character as she dives more in to the underworld to save .... something. (I don't want to give it away!)

But please know: there are 3 books in this series. Don't be a dimwit like me and think that this ending will be solved because it was yet another cliff hanger.
The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winter
The world is ending and society has given up. Most of society has given up... this book is a about a policemen during the end of the world who is still trying to solve crimes and save people even though no one else cares.

When I read this book, I got caught up in the mystery but halfway through the book got in its own way. More twists and turns were introduced and the plot got over complicated. I would read this book if you happen to be poolside in Mexico but save it on the shelf until then.






Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...