Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Story: Expectation vs. Reality



A lesson in story telling.


Expectation
vs. Reality
He was coming home today.
He missed me as much as I missed him.
Even though our time together was short we had been there for each other for so much.
It is in moments like this that you realize what and who are most important in your life.

When I got into the office this day, before I even turned on my computer, I made a sign. There is nothing that I love more than being picked up from the airport and see your person waiting for you at the escalator.

The work day went by so slowly as I checked my phone constantly for updates on his flight. I finally got off of work early and drove to the airport. I hit timing perfectly and just missed the post work traffic rush. His flight was right on time.

But still, I was late. Even in my expectations, I was late. So I quickly parked my car right by the walkway, hiked up my long dress, and took off running. People turned to stop and stare as I darted through the garage. They knew I was meeting someone special.

Out of the parking garage and through the baggage claim I ran. There was no one at the carousels so I continued running to where I was shoulder to shoulder with town-car drivers waiting for their faceless passengers to arrive from their flights.

Black suit white sign name,
black suit white sign name,
black suit white sign name,
black dress white sign green heart.

Flights had just landed and the waiting area began to fill with people meeting. I saw him come up the escalator before he saw me. After the week he had and a flight all night, I could see the world on his shoulders. But once I caught his eye some worry disappeared and he smiled at me.

He quickly walked over, set down his bag, wrapped his arms around my waist and we hugged. I could feel his deep breathes and sighs of relief in the crook of my neck only lighten when we brought his head back to give me a sweet kiss. He was finally home.

After a few minutes we untwined ourselves from each other and he grabbed his bag with this left hand and my hand with his right. As we walked back to my car to make the journey home we finally spoke when I asked him "How are you?" and he took a deep breathe and told me all that he couldn't say the week prior when all he had time for was a single line in an email saying he was alive.

He was home.
He was with me.
. He was coming home today.
I hoped he missed me as much as I missed him.
Even though our time together was short and had ended we had been there for each other for so much.
It is in moments like this that you realize what and who are most important in your life.

When I got into the office this day, before I even turned on my computer, I made a sign. There is nothing that I love more than being picked up from the airport and see your person waiting for you at the escalator.

The work day went by so slowly as I checked my phone constantly for updates on his flight. I finally  got off of work early and drove to the airport. Traffic was backed up all through downtown and his flight that was running late ended up landing early.

I took the first spot I could find, hiked up my long dress, and took off running. I saw a sign that said his airline's name pointing in the opposite direction I was running so I doubled back and kept on.

My phone vibrated
Him: "At Baggage claim."
Me: "Did you have customs?"
Him: "Already done."

I ran faster across the walkway and down to the carousels but no one was there. I ran from one side of the baggage claim to the next and couldn't see him. I looked up his flight and found that his bag would be on claim 3 on the opposite side of the terminal so again I ran back. People stared as I ran frantically.

I tried calling his phone but no answer. I called again. Nothing. I sat on the side of carousel 3 and my mind began racing with explanations.

My phone lit up with his name. He was calling to say he was coming up the escalator now. Before he finished talking I ran to where the town-car drivers were standing. I looked down in my hand to see his crumpled sign and held it up just in time to catch his eye.

After the week he had and a flight all night, I could see the world on his shoulders.

He walked over, set down his bag, wrapped his arms around my waist and we hugged. I could feel his deep breathes in the crook of my neck and the weariness in his arms.

After a few minutes we separated and he grabbed his bag with this left hand and his carry-on with his right. I insisted on helping, so I grabbed his carry-on in my right hand and took his hand in my left.

As we walked back to my car to make the journey home I was so nervous that I started rambling. Rambling on to cover all that I was hoping for. But finally calmed:
Me: "How are you?"
Him: "I'm just out of it. I can't really talk about it right now."

So we walked in silence back to my car and started the drive home.
Him: "It's not that I don't want to tell you, I am just not all here."
Me: "It's okay, I don't mind waiting."

He was home.


Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...