Monday, July 8, 2013

What I read: June

After June's reads, I am at 15 books read for the year. A long way to 50 but I am pacing myself at 4 books for month and on my way to meeting my resolution.

Do you have must reads that you finished in June or would love to share? Send recommendations my way!

These are the books I read in June:



Bread & Wine
A friend recommended this book and a week later my mom bought my a copy, I was destined to read it.

The premise of this book is about building community around dinners with friends and family. It includes recipes and stories that pair with each. Family / community dinners are very important to me. It is why I have a table as big as my kitchen and why I stress myself out over cooking to have people over often. I am not a good cook, I am stressful cook but that anxiety is well worth the friendships I build over my table.

Bread & Wine was an easy and quick read. There were moments that I loved, quotes that I saved for later, and recipes I have used but in general, I didn't love the book. I had a really hard time connecting with the author, regardless of how hard I tried.

"We don't learn to love each other in the easy moments. Anyone is good company at a cocktail party. But love is born when we misunderstand one another and make it right, when we cry in the kitchen, when we show up uninvited with magazines and granola bars, in an effort to say, I love you."
- Shauna Niequist / Bread & Wine

Siege & Storm
This is the second book in The Grisha Trilogy and just as amazing as the first book. I read the initial book a year ago as my sister said it will be one of the must read books of the year. At the time I didn't realize it was a series and was so disheartened I would have to wait a year to read the next chapter.

When the second book showed up at my doorstep, I didn't wait a second to start reading. I immediately fell back into the story line and was caught up in the characters. I was afraid that I would have forgotten where we left off in the first book but that wasn't the cases....

This book is a perfect poolside read and don't let it being a YA novel fool you, this book is great for those of us that a bit older than young adult.

Defending Jacob
I rented this book back in November but only read 60 pages before it was due back to the library. Since it was in such hot demand and I had a growing pile of books to read, I wasn't able to get back to reading it until June.

Since Kindle remembered where I left off, I jumped right back on page 60 and was frustrated through the very end. Every character in this book aggravated me. Poor choice after poor choice, I wanted to reach inside each page and shake them into reality, begging them to wake up and think clearly. But perhaps that is what makes such a good book... the fact that you connect so well with a character that you feel for them and the poor choices they make.

A must read for the plot twists, poor choices, and blindness by the love for ones family.

The Waking Dead
I was given explicit instructions to not read this at night due to the terror it would instill. Like a true stubborn person, I read this at night and when my roommate was out of town. Perhaps it is all the Hanibal I have been watching but I wasn't as scared as warned.

This book is based out of a desolate town in the middle of who knows where. It has a handful of main characters but follows the whole town as they go from your stereotypical small community to one that is plagued and spurred by blood, murder, revenge, and lack of morality.

Don't let me fool you, this book is frightening. Although a YA novel, I wouldn't let my teen read this. But as an adult, this book was captivating and mysterious. I have a skill of predicting the endings before the first chapter ends and I was enthralled and surprised by this book through the end.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...