Monday, June 7, 2010

Nailed It

Last week I had a phone interview with an agency in San Francisco.

Yes, San Francisco.

I can hear my mom hyperventilating at the thought of me moving away from the NW again.

The interview was the initial screening with HR for an agency I have great respect for and have liked for sometime.

After talking with the agency I tweeted:

"I've learned that in the job search you have to be honest about who you are and not try to be who you think they want."

I recently went through an interview process with my dream company but not the dream job. I tried to be uniquely me but I was also selling what I thought they wanted. After 4 days of being interviewed by 16 people they went with another candidate. Bummer, right?

I have always been a dreamer and my parents encouraged BIG dreams but only now am I starting to realize that I need to dream even BIGGER! Which is what I did with the phone interview. I continued to be uniquely me but instead of giving what I think they want to hear, I spoke the truth.  I talked about my strengths, where I see my future and ways I want to grow. After getting off the phone, even if they had hated me, I knew I would never regret being honest in who I am.

(Thankfully, I made a strong connection and the feelings were mutual. Now I am planning my SF return trip to meet in person. Stay tuned.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...