Thursday, October 31, 2013

Office Romance



It is estimated that the average american spends 30% of their life at the office. With nearly as much time in the cubicle as you do sleeping, what do you think about office romances?

The Pros: It is convenient and accessible and comes with a common bond... If Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie can fall in love over Mr. & Mrs. Smith then it is just as likely that I will fall for John over TPS reports.

The Cons: With office love may also come office heartache. There is no way to avoid the ex and you very well may run into him every day at the water cooler.

But, if you have evaluated the pros and cons of an office romance, and yet you feel there is far too much chemistry exchanged in those lingering glances across the cubicle walls.... what now?

My parents were in town for a week to meet my new nephew and I was able to score some time with them over dinner. Since they had "been there, done that" at some point in their life, and had obviously captured each other's hearts, I used this precious opportunity to solicit their wisdom on the art of office romance.

Me:  What do you think of office romances and how does one move from quick glances to something more? (Hypothetically speaking, of course)

Mom: Details please... (with a romantic sparkle in her eye)

Me: You know, say there is this man at work that I have a big crush on. I always catch him looking at me so I think he might have one too. But, I never have the chance to talk to him. So, what should I do?

Dad: Just walk up to him and ask him to coffee.

Me: That's it? I don't think that would work!

Dad: Yes it will.

Me: If a girl asked you to coffee what would you say?

Dad: That I'm married.

I want to know what you think... Would you dare an office romance? Or take a chance with a coffee request? I'd love to hear your office tales and advice.



Connect to AndBubblegum Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram




2 comments:

  1. I vote yes. Do it. Coffee. Happy hour. Whatever. Hypothetically speaking of course... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote do it. I did it, and we've been together two + years now ;). It started with chatting at work which triggered a happy hour invite then Facebook friends and an invitation to carpool. The rest is history.... I will say though, that we did eventually decide that one or both of us needed to switch jobs so we were not interacting professionally every day-that is almost TOO much time together. Don't take your work home and don't bring your home to work. Easier to do that when you're at least on different teams

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...