Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Extraordinary Ordinary Life



Seeing a movie is one of my favorite things to do. I would say it is up there with reading a good book and discovering a new restaurant. Seeing a movie with my mom? Well, that may just push it into the number one spot.

This past weekend my mom and I had a rare moment of quality time. I say "rare" because over the past month, our time together has been at my sister's house spent with a cooing baby. As much as my new nephew, Noah, has won over my heart, it was really nice to have some time just mom and daughter.

On this day, we took in an afternoon movie downtown and watched About Time.

A little over 2 hours long, this movie explores the idea of choosing joy and appreciating the moments while you are in them. The movie is slow at times, but once it is finished you can't remember a single scene they should cut. Instead, it felt real, the ideas explored attainable, and an extraordinary ordinary life could easily be yours.

Yesterday, a girl just two years older than me lost her husband in an accident that happened at work. Although I have known her at a distance for nearly 15 years, we were not close. In the last few years my parents spent more time with her and her husband and grew to love them. As my parents called to tell me the news and share the heartache, I couldn't help to think back to this movie. How many times do we talk about treating each moment as our last but never take action upon it?

A life is measured by births, weddings, and funerals. But it is the moments in between that count and are made more meaningful by the people we choose to share them with.

This is my extraordinary ordinary life and I need to be about enjoying it and sharing it.




Connect to AndBubblegum Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...