Thursday, August 22, 2013

High School

It feels like people side with either loving high school or hating it.

Unfortunately I am in the latter camp.



My freshman year was great, but then my family moved and I was transferred to a small private high school that was also attached to my parent's church. It was the type of school where there were only 2 other new kids that year and it felt like everyone already had their friendships built and pre-determined thoughts on who you were and what you were about.

I wasn't the smartest...nor the prettiest..or the most athletic. I was very middle of the road in terms of being anything special. I was outgoing, in general happy, and I was independent. Every day I sat with a group of popular girls but I never felt like one of them. I didn't date any of the guys at school nor did I ever have a crush on them. I attended classes, did decently well without trying, and then left for the day.

When high school ended, so did many of my friendships - some upon graduation day and a few others lost over the following year. I have reconnected with a few, thanks to social media, but in general, that chapter of my life is done and I am not interested in revisiting it. (don't count me in for my high school reunion next year).

Ashlee was one of the few high school friends I reconnected with a few years back with instagram and blogs. Although we hardly talked, I was able to see how she had grown to be such a delightful woman of God through her daily digital endeavors. When she came into town a few months ago, she asked to meet up for drinks, but about an hour before we were set to get together panic struck.

High school?... I hated high school!

Better yet, my most vivid memory of Ashlee was over us getting in a yelling match in our high school hallways over a boy she set me up with... who was not a good guy, and I was clueless to the fact... and our history teacher had to separate us. Girls are crazy, high school girls especially.

I was about 10 minutes early to meet Ashlee and I sat with nervous anxiousness.
I went to the bathroom to check my hair.
I took deep breaths and drank about 5 glasses of water in 2 minutes.
I was an anxious mess.

And then Ashlee walked in and we immediately caught up on the last 9 years of our lives. There was no drama. No pulling of hair. No eyes scratched out. It was pleasant. More than that, it was fun!

If I had the chance to go back and do things differently in high school with friends, teachers, or what not... I wouldn't. I have no regrets. Even when I sometimes find myself sad when I see some of the old group are still friends.

Moments in time define who we are and high school, the good and bad, contributed to the person I am today, a person I happen to really like and proud to say I am.

Thankfully, sometimes life has a way to circle back and allow for us to reconnect.
Perhaps, allow us to better friends than we were ever able to be to each other 10 years ago.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...