Monday, August 26, 2013

Emily's Fail Safe Dinner for 2

The other day I was at a loss of what to cook for dinner and I made the critical mistake of wandering around Safeway hoping to find inspiration.


Up and down the aisles I searched for something to spark my interest. Even though I was starving and running out of time, nothing looked appetizing. (Please tell me you know what I am talking about!)

I was about to give up and pick up greek food next door when I remembered Emily's blog post about an easy to make dinner that is a "guaranteed winner."


After buying the ingredients I didn't have at home, I was able to make dinner in the amount of time it took to cook the pasta. It was easy, tasty, and no way I could mess it up.

If you are out of ideas or in a hurry, I too recommend: (But
switched the orrechiette with farfelle pasta... I'm a sucker for a bow!)
Orrechiette with Sausage and Greens:
  • 1 lb orrechiette pasta
  • 1 lb turkey or pork Italian sausage, casings removed
  • Olive oil
  • 4 cups fresh spinach or 2 cups fresh chopped swiss chard or kale
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add orrechiette and cook according to package instructions. Drain in a colander reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Meanwhile, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or so until fragrant. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart with a fork, until heated through. Add greens and red pepper flakes and combine until greens are wilted. Add pasta and parmesan and stir to combine, adding cooking water by the ¼ cup until the desired saucy consistency is reached. Serve with parmesan cheese and a light red wine like Sangiovese.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...