Thursday, August 29, 2013

Be A Man, Joe Ehrmann at Tedx



In mid-October my little nephew will enter the world. As his parents raise him, I firmly believe that their community, church and friends also play a big role in helping to nurture and develop him. That means I too will have a small part in contributing to the man Noah becomes.

That's a lot of responsibility!
I was raised in a girl household. My poor dad was surrounded by barbies and braids and found reprieve by getting male dogs. I don't have the slightest clue how boys tick or how to raise them.

Although I will have absolutely no clue what to do when Noah arrives, there are a few things I hope he learns from me...

Be generous any way he can.

Not take himself too seriously.

Respect himself and those around him.

Not be afraid to fight for what he believes in.

And to love unconditionally.

"All of life is about relationships. It's about the capacity to love and be loved. What does it mean to be a man? It means you can look someone in the eye and say I love you and receive that love back... What would happen if (we) all came together and said this next generation of boys, 'we're going to teach that them that the essence, the epitome of what it means to be a man emanates from the heart?'... "

What are your tips for raising little boys?


Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...