Monday, May 27, 2013

Traditions and Dreams

I went to Salt Lake City last weekend to celebrate my sister’s baby shower with our Utah family, and it was so nice to be in the mountains again.

I couldn’t help but snap a photo as the plane made its descent over the glowing city lights. The phrase, “This is the place,” popped into my head—what Brigham Young is said to have remarked when he led the pioneers into the land surrounding the Great Salt Lake. With its geography encompassing the beauty of both mountain and desert, I can’t say that I blame him.

Aside from enjoying Utah for its scenery, the main reason I love to visit of course is to spend time with my grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins. And as a special bonus, it has become somewhat of a tradition for me to meet up with my friend Lucy whenever I’m in town. We’ve known each other since 6th grade and I’m so thankful that we’ve kept in touch since I moved from California to Utah in 10th grade. Somehow, during these once or twice a year meetings, we always end up at Coffee Garden, a cafĂ© in the hip retail neighborhood of 9th and 9th.   

As we were sipping our drinks and catching up, we got to talking about the importance of figuring out what we’re passionate about and then doing it, and doing it often.

Lucy asked me whether I had ever seen the video of professor Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture at Carnegie Mellon. Randy taught computer science and became well known for his lecture (and book) on achieving childhood dreams. He gave his lecture after receiving a diagnosis of cancer that only allowed him a few months left to live. I had heard of the book and had even seen his interviews on TV, but had never actually watched the video.

After returning home to Venice, I decided to sit down and watch the hour and 15-minute talk on YouTube (it currently has over 15 million views.) As I’m sure countless other people have, I found Randy and his lecture to be truly inspirational and thought provoking. Here was a man who had not only achieved his dreams, but had inspired his students to pursue their passions, too. And with his lecture, he was able to share with millions his advice on how to really live.

A few of Randy’s main points that resonated with me were:

·      Anything is possible.
·      Criticism is good—it means people still care enough to say something.
·      You have to decide if you’re going to be a Tigger or an Eyeore.
·      When you do what’s right, good things will happen. (Karma!)
·      Obstacles, or “brick walls,” are there to help you figure out how bad you want something.
·      Find the best in everyone.
·      Be good at something; it makes you valuable.
·      Work hard and don’t complain.
·      Help others.
·      Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.
·      You’ll need help from others to achieve your dreams.

These points make up a good philosophy to live by, but what if you don’t remember what your childhood dreams were? Or what if you no longer want to be “a rodeo queen”? Then what do you do? This is what I was left to wonder, and I still don’t know the answer.

But this is what I do know: I’m lucky enough to have people in my life that fulfill that last bullet point. People like Danielle and Lucy (and many more) who encourage me. I may not know precisely what I’m meant to be doing, but there are people willing to help me figure it out.

Before leaving our coffee date, Lucy and I made a promise to work on pursuing our dreams, she with her photography and me with my writing. She is such an amazing photographer and I’m glad she’ll be posting her work more often at LucyCall.com

And as for me, I’ll be trying to post more often, too. Here, as a contributor on AndBubblegum, and here, as often as I can manage.

Here’s to pursuing your dreams, whether childhood or not!
  

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...