Tuesday, December 18, 2012

30 Before 30: Bake a Pie from Scratch







After taking my pie baking class I was confident in making my own for Thanksgiving with my family. I was going to make minor substitutes to the recipe I was taught, using apples instead of pears, but otherwise following it to a T.

The baking processes started perfectly... flour may have been everywhere but I knew I was doing it right. Then we had some minor complications and had to rush the crust into the oven for the pre-bake. When I went to check on it 30 minutes later, the crust had collapsed.

While I was crushed, my sister was rolling on the floor laughing. I left it for the night and thought I wouldn't be showing my dessert the next day.

When I woke the next morning, I decided to go with my slumped crust and filled it with apple filling and ginger streusel. 10 hours later we dug into the pies and it tasted amazing and my pie tin was the first one empty as we had leftovers the next day.

It may not have been the prettiest first try, but it was a valiant effort to be perfected over time.



  1. Get a pixie haircut.

  2. Go on a vacation alone.

  3. Karaoke.

  4. Camp.

  5. Learn to longboard. Or at least attempt it.

  6. Complete a catch on the flying trapeze.

  7. Throw a fancy dinner party.

  8. Run a marathon. (But I will settle for a half)

  9. Visit Canada.

  10. Travel to a country I have never been before (not Canada).

  11. Revisit my best friend in Florida.

  12. See a football game in the south. War Eagle.

  13. Learn to grill.

  14. Attempt snowboarding... again.

  15. Take a cooking class. 
    1. Completed Nov. 11, 2012 at Pantry at Delancy
      Pie Ninja
  16. Hold my future niece or nephew.

  17. Treat my parents.

  18. Make a pie from scratch.
    1. Completed Nov 21, 2012 with a Ginger Apple Streusel "Pie"
  19. Find the perfect swimsuit.

  20. Decorate a christmas tree.

  21. Ride a motorcycle.

  22. Explore 5 states I have never visited before.

  23. Conquer my reoccuring NYE resolution of reading 50 books in one year.

  24. Learn to french braid.

  25. Take a 2 week vacation: 2 consecutive weeks.

  26. Build something... that doesn’t come from Ikea.

  27. Do one cartwheel.

  28. Matchmake a couple, successfully.

  29. Wear my navy blue special occasion Florida dress.

  30. Be apart of something momentous, memorable, and national. Subjective... deal with it.
BONUS: Be awesome every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...