Thursday, September 20, 2012

Evan




My birthday is in two weeks. 27.

When did I get so old?

7 years ago I received a birthday present from my friend, Evan. This present has moved with me all along the west coast, sat prominently on display on a shelf in every home, and still one of my favorite birthday presents ever.

You may have heard me talk about it before...

Evan gave me one of his own (oversized on me) sweatshirts and a notebook with a letter inside.

I wear the sweatshirt often.

I see the notebook daily.

From an outsider, this present may seem silly but it was/is so perfect to me.

I can count on one hand the people who truly know me. I have friends that I am very close with, best friends even, that aren't quite there. It isn't about knowing what I like, do, say but who I am.

Evan and I met in the dorms our first year of college. We had a few all night study sessions and I even convinced him to ditch class a couple times. We hung out a fair amount but never enough that would make him understand me as well as he does.

And yet, 7 years later... he still knows me. I don't know how but I love it from the bottom of my soul. It is rare to have someone outside of your family that knows you, truly, and still loves you. (Seriously!) I believe I have that in my friendship with Evan. And every day I am so grateful for it, especially when I get a facebook or instagram comment that makes me go "how does he know just what to say?"

Baffled and delighted.

Cheers to 8 years of stories, adventures, and friendships, Evan. Want to hold my pocket?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...