Thursday, June 9, 2011

Portland Spotlight: Multnomah Falls

My parents moved to Portland from San Francisco in the spring of 2008 and it was shortly after that that I started having annual visits...


You know... once they had found a house, packed their old house, moved into the new house, and set up a room for me. Priorities!


During a weekend visit in 2009, my sister and I decided to explore this new place they called home.


First on the agenda: Multnomah Falls.


On the website we were told it was a family friendly and easy 2 mile hike with outstanding views. So we came with jeans, flats and a raincoat.



Falls2009

The hike is marked by 11 switchbacks to reach the top the waterfall at roughly 700 feet of elevation.


Easy, right?


We made it to switchback 7. Blame it on the weather. Blame it on the poor choice of clothes. Mostly blame it on me. But don't worry, I blame it on their misleading signage that makes it seem hopeless.


Fast forward to June 2011 and this waterfall was conquered.


I had planned to revisit the falls for sometime and knew it would be the perfect addition to my $5 Limit challenge.


I dressed a bit sportier this time and had a water bottle and camera to boot. The incline was tough but I saw families doing it with strollers so I stopped complaining. Soon I hit switchback 7 and quickly found that at switchback 9 it was downhill. See, misleading!


Ultimately, the views are worth it.



Falls1


Falls2


Falls3

Before heading back, I found a little area that is off of the lookout point but still near the gushing water where I stayed for quite some time.





IMG_1248.MOV
Watch on Posterous


I also found a GINORMOUS snake. He totally wanted to bite me but I said no.





IMG_1257.MOV
Watch on Posterous



All in a days work, right?



Falls4

1 comment:

  1. Im the 30.5 years that I've called Portland home, I've never made it to the top of Multnomah Falls. Granted, I have only legitimately tried once.... but still. You have inspired me, Miss Noah. I, too, shall conquer this summit. Just not on a particularly hot day because I really don't want to get too sweaty. Or on a rainy day, for obvious reasons. Or on a day that I'm grumpy, because what would be the point.So maybe on some day that it's perfectly 70 degrees and I'm in a terrific mood. On that day, I will dominate.Wanna come with? Be a two-time summit-er?

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...