Thursday, January 3, 2013

30 before 30: Get a pixie haircut.


I always dreamt of getting a pixie cut. Cutting off all my hair to resemble a man's haircut but being so feminine and delicate that I looked even more lady like. Big dreams. Little follow through.
In fact, I threatened to get one for years. My family, friends, hairdresser... they all heard my empty promises. They knew I was all talk. But a few weeks ago the stars aligned.

I was needing a "big change". I was needing to take control or feel like I had control of something. Anything. Little sleep, little fun time, heartache, a bit of stress, and needless worries can do that to you.

At that moment, cutting off all my hair was my solution.

I asked opinions. I heard a resounding "no" and only a few "yes"es.

Kaia (contact info below), my amazing hair stylist, was on board and held my hand through the whole process. She encouraged my crying (it only happened once) and was excited with me when it turned out. I walked out feeling like I had a fresh start to the new year.

I've had a date cancelled because of it and another person told me it makes me look old. But aside from the few haters, I have received enthusiasm from family, friends, and strangers.

Some days I like it.
Some days I hate it.
As of late... I love it.

It is just hair. It will grow back if I want it too. But in this moment, it is allowing me to be bold on my terms. And as it turns out, it suits me.

Although she wasn't talking about my hair, one of my girlfriends told me, "it's time to fish or cut the bait." Less waiting. Less talking. More doing.


__
Kaia @ West Linn Hairport (West Linn, OR // Just outside of Portland, OR)
503-635-2515
__


  1. Get a pixie haircut.
    1. Completed Dec 12, 2012
  2. Go on a vacation alone.

  3. Karaoke.

  4. Camp.

  5. Learn to longboard. Or at least attempt it.

  6. Complete a catch on the flying trapeze.

  7. Throw a fancy dinner party.

  8. Run a marathon. (But I will settle for a half)

  9. Visit Canada.

  10. Travel to a country I have never been before (not Canada).

  11. Revisit my best friend in Florida.

  12. See a football game in the south. War Eagle.

  13. Learn to grill.

  14. Attempt snowboarding... again.

  15. Take a cooking class. 
    1. Completed Nov 11, 2012 at Pantry at Delancy
      Pie Ninja
  16. Hold my future niece or nephew.

  17. Treat my parents.

  18. Make a pie from scratch.
    1. Completed Nov 21, 2012 with a Ginger Apple Streusel "Pie"
  19. Find the perfect swimsuit.

  20. Decorate a christmas tree.

  21. Ride a motorcycle.

  22. Explore 5 states I have never visited before.

  23. Conquer my reoccuring NYE resolution of reading 50 books in one year.

  24. Learn to french braid.

  25. Take a 2 week vacation: 2 consecutive weeks.

  26. Build something... that doesn’t come from Ikea.

  27. Do one cartwheel.

  28. Matchmake a couple, successfully.

  29. Wear my navy blue special occasion Florida dress.

  30. Be apart of something momentous, memorable, and national. Subjective... deal with it.
BONUS: Be awesome every day.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...