Saturday, May 5, 2012

This time last year:

It is so easy to get stuck in the day to day. Work has been all consuming and stressful. I had my pride take over and I took on a large project that I should have developed a team instead of doing it all myself. I am missing Portland and needing a vacation. Worst of all... my high bun is losing all oomph. (Kidding... not really.)

I was sitting on my bed looking into my closet trying to decide which dress will take me from a derby party to a cinco de mayo party and secretly wishing I didn't return that fascinator four months ago.

I pulled out my phone to catch up on instagram and saw a photo of a friend celebrating their birthday.

"Has it really been a year?"

May 5, 2011.

I can remember that day clearly. I was wearing a little red dress and spending the evening with my then boyfriend. Although I didn't know this then, I would be introducing him to my family the next day. The first time I had ever done so in my life, a big step in the world of "Adult Danielle." I thought this boy was the cat's meow.

In that moment:
  • I was living in the suburbs of Portland.
  • I didn't love my job but I was good at it.
  • My family didn't officially include a brother yet.


May 5, 2012.

Looking back over the year, almost every aspect of my life has changed.

New city. New job. New family (well, expanded family).
  • That boyfriend and I didn't work out but it did set a standard for future boyfriends and my "type". In case you haven't heard me say it, the break ups may get harder but the men sure do get better!
  • That same boyfriend, ignited an interest in Portland. I spent the following months, up until my move to Seattle, learning and falling in love with that little city. Now in Seattle, I miss Portland but I am exploring where I live now and appreciating what I have.
  • My job is fantastic, even if I sometimes complain. I am able to impact international business and create standards that are asked to be replicated.
  • My family has grown. I now have a brother and fur nephew. Also, a Seattle family that I would be lost without. 
I am amazed how much we can learn and our capacity to change. I get lost in the day to day but in retrospect, I am not the same girl I was this time last year. I am better, stronger, and happier.

I am still sitting on my bed deciding what to wear to today's festivities. Just for the heck of it.... I'm thinking my little red dress.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...