Tuesday, May 29, 2012

50 Shades of Lunch in Paris



Every month my book club continues to grow. This time we welcomed Abby and Jillian to the mix and talked over Lunch in Paris (and our unofficial book 50 Shades of Grey)

This was only meeting three and still no one has any interest to actually talk about our read despite my best efforts.

BUT, this month, Emily, our resident foodie, did pull out the book to read us her favorite excerpt.

I love to hear what person's favorite part of a book or movie is. Usually, more than it says anything about the entertainment it speaks wildly of the person.

I will keep my thoughts on her passage to myself... but I think her blush while reading it says more than enough.

But to be perfectly fair, these are a few of my highlights.

I'm the girl you call Wednesday for Saturday.... A flirt maybe, but in that harmless, nineteenth-century, kiss-my-hand-and-ask-me-to-waltz kind of way.
Ok maybe not ask me to waltz but there needs to be some definite wooing.
There is always a moment after we sit down at the cramped wooden table, face-to-face after weeks apart. An awkward silence or too much talking before we fall back into the easy intimacy sparked by a long look or his hand in my hair. When I was a teenager I would have called this "twinkle toes" -- the long awaited touch you can feel from the top of your head to the soles of your feet.
Oh. Yes.
My vocabulary is a disorganized closet full of fifties slang and phrases plucked from my favorite nineteenth century novels. Why be funny when you can be "deeply amusing" instead?
Nineteenth century? I'm more smitten, gosh, and bonkers. With some swear words of the future: Frak.
There are many things that will tell you the true measure of a man--the way he kisses, the way he holds a fork, the way he talks to his mother on the phone.
The way he holds a fork... I can't get over the caveman hold. Pet peeve.


(We are always looking to grow our little book club. If you live in Seattle, like to read, and love to drink wine you should join us! We do read the books but rarely talk about them. Instead we meet once a month, eat amazing food and drink far too much wine.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...