Sunday, April 24, 2011

Stop and Focus

And so my joie de vivre project begins with an idea that is simple enough: stop and focus.


Sounds easy enough...


But I am busy! I have my days mapped out for the next month and different colored moleskin notebooks for different situations filled with lists I need to accomplish! 


Just stop and focus...



Stopandfocus



In America, we are entitled to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."


There is no such expression in France. In fact, in France the equivalent expression is la recherche du bonheur (looking for happiness). On the surface, this might seems as if I am splitting hairs, but if you really examine the idea of the "looking" for happiness as opposed to "pursuing" happiness, you'll see there's actually a big difference.


If we're looking for something, it feels as if it's there hiding in plain sight... On the other hand, pursuing implies a kind of chasing after something. For us, happiness is down the street somewhere, but moving fast. We'll have to move even faster...chase after it, really chase it down, faster than the competition.


- Jamie Cat Callan



Goal for the next two weeks: Be present in the simple joys I can find when doing everyday, ordinary tasks.



Joie de vivre is about loving life, loving people, loving to be alive, feeling alive. It is about smiling, being in your heart, and being grateful for all of the beautiful things in your life.


- Isabelle



I am playing these two weeks by ear. I am still unsure of exactly how to go about "stopping and focusing" but I am going to focus on being present and also being grateful for all that I have and surrounds me. And after a difficult week at work, this might just be the perfect time to start.


I'll let you know how it goes!




D


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...