Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Toast: To Ashley and Vik


For those that do not know me, I am Danielle or often called Dani. I am Ashley’s little sister and tomorrow I will be her Maid of Honor.

I am so excited to be here today to celebrate Ashley and Vik and I want to thank Ray and Linda and Raj and Joy for inviting us all here this weekend.

I knew it was my responsibility as Maid of Honor to give a toast. But as Ashley’s little sister I for sure thought she would find a way to get me out of it.

Instead I was given a list of stories not to mention, words not to say, videos not to show and pictures to hide forever. That is probably best.

Ashley was always the perfect child. Her hair was long and brushed. Her clothes ironed. She had straight A’s and was a top athlete. While I spent my days grounded, Ashley excelled at everything she set her mind too. From as long as I can remember, all of my guy friends were in love with my sister. I often said, “Until Ashley got married, I will never have a boyfriend.” I guess that means tomorrow is a big day for me too…

But in all seriousness, there has never been anyone I looked up to more than her.

Even at a young age, Ashley had a “type”.

At first it was Joey McEntyre from New Kids on the Block.

Then it was Prince William.

Finally, the always injured A’s baseball player, Mark Mulder. Yes, Ashley, you guys totally had a moment.

And now it is Vik.

Vik is the perfect man because he combines her lifetime of love interests.

He has the boy band tattoo like Joey McEntyre.

The charm of a future king of England.

And the athleticism of an always-injured athlete.

But in truth: he is loyal, steady, compassionate, and kind. Everything Ashley always wanted.

Growing up, I may have been the little sister but I always took care of Ashley. I was dubbed her little pit bull. If there was anything she needed, I would do it. I got her ketchup at McDonalds. I scared off boyfriends. I threatened to beat up anyone that looked at her wrong. But also, we could laugh for hours at the silliest things, every movie ended with a dance off party, and we could talk all night long just sharing our dreams.

There is a poem by EE Cummings I want to share…

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

Vik, Ashley is the only sister I have. She is my heart. I will never give up our end of movie dance offs but I will cut back the all night talks if you promise to take care of her.

As you both take this next journey together I pray for abundant happiness and blessings for you.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Please, let us raise our glass to my sister, Ashley and her future husband, Vik.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...