Thursday, July 1, 2010

Oh That Will Change, Just Wait...


Nearly 80% of my friends are married or engaged with only 10% having children too. With that said, I currently have 0% desire for husband or child.
Today is my day off and after running a couple of errands I turned onto my street to find a little boy laying flat in the middle of the road under his bike. I pulled into my driveway and ran out to his side.
“What’s wrong? Are you okay?”
“My foot is caught in my bike and I’m stuck.”
I, gently as I could, loosened his foot where the wheel and pipe met and put his other shoe, which had flown off, back on his foot. My first instinct was to pick him up and hold him tight but after I helped him up I offered to clean his bleeding wounds. I quickly ran into my house and found bandages and rubbing alcohol.
As I ran out to the street, his face scrunched up and he looked at the looming brown bottle and said “Not that, it stings.”
“But we have to clean up this cut or it will sting more if it gets infected. You are strong, I know you will be brave” I cooed at him. As I cleaned his hand his face stung with pain but soon a large bandaid was on to keep it clean.
I picked up his bike and held it while he hopped back on. He told me he just lives around the corner and can make it home.
I have never felt such a strong maternal instinct as I did this afternoon. Every desire in my body was to help this little boy and make him feel better.
How long was he stuck under the bike?
     Did he make it home okay?
          Why didn’t the construction workers a couple houses down try to help him?
I still have ZERO desire to have child or husband but for a short while I completely believed what my mom continues to tell me, “Oh that will change, just wait…”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...