Thursday, September 12, 2013

We’re not checked bag people


My boyfriend Ryan and I were discussing our impending 10-day trip to Italy while at dinner with my family (Buon Giorno from Bella Italia!) a week before we were scheduled to leave. When I mentioned not being able to transport a certain beauty product because I would not be checking a bag, my family was confused, and then Ryan came out with that little line above. “We’re not checked bag people.” Shock, awe, and maybe even a little disgust ensued.





See, my family and I ARE checked bag people. For five days. For two days. We check our bags.  Having a new outfit for every second of the day far outweighs the inconvenience of checking a bag. Or at least it did… until I met Ryan. Over the past two and a half years I’ve had to accustom myself to not checking a bag because if there is one thing in this world that Ryan loathes, it is checking a bag (well, that and non-travelers in the security line…you can see the connection). While at first I was overwhelmed by the prospect of packing for a trip in a carry on, it now excites me. Just how efficient can I be? Just how much can I fit into that bag? Just how many new outfits can I create? This 10-day trip (with a formal wedding thrown in for good measure) is my biggest challenge yet.

Let’s start with the clothes. I obviously wish I could have five choices for every meal and every time of day, the opportunity to work out if I wanted to, the opportunity to do laps in the hotel pool or wear a different pair of shoes than I planned. But it’s not that easy. Space is limited and I have to prioritize. Hence, the plan: first, no pants. I probably wouldn’t want to wear pants in 90-degree heat anyway, and I’d probably have five different pant-top combinations that would just take up space. I’m sticking to dresses and shorts. Four daytime dresses, five dinner dresses, seven that have potential for either. One pair of neutral shorts (navy eyelet shorts from J.Crew that I am in LOVE with) with three top possibilities. A couple coverups, one set of pajamas, a robe, three bathing suits, a nice, small clutch for the wedding. Underthings and a pair of socks. Done. Shoes are always tricky for me because I just have so many I’d love to take. But again, time to strategize. I’ve been scouting out good walking shoes for months and always consider them a good investment. My definite daytime go-to’s: gold and tan Sofft sandals with a more supportive sole (but still fashionable!) and Sperry’s. A couple pairs of flip-flops for beach/pool time, one semi-casual black wedge, and one pair of nice heels.
The issue of wanting to go running while there stumped me. I may only go once and was it really worth it to bring all my running clothes just for one run? And then I found my solution: I’d wear a workout outfit and my running shoes on the plane and if I only used them one more time on the trip, I wouldn’t feel guilty about it. Voila!



On to my tote for the trip; a cross-body was important and I also wanted to be able to have a smaller bag in case I wanted to travel light during the day. Enter my three bags in one magic solution: large cross-body tote with flight/beachtime essentials, small cross-body purse for daytime use, expandable tote (small black square in upper left corner) in case my purchases abroad got out of hand or I wanted a light beach bag. I put all my essentials (wallet, passport, phone, chapstick, gum) into my smaller purse and stuffed it into the larger bag with everything else. This strategy has never failed me yet.
As for my flight/trip essentials:
-My electronics bag is just a small wristlet that fits all my chargers, my ipod shuffle, my headphones, and a headphone splitter so Ryan and I can watch the same movie on one iPad. I like keeping all the various cords in one place so I don’t find them knotted around other things at the bottom of my bag.
-iPad: I am obsessed with my digital versions of Bon Appetit and Food and Wine for iPad. I also love that I can sync my kindle no matter what device I’m using. Finally, I have some music I can fall asleep to or a couple shows to watch in case I get restless on the plane.
-Kindle and hard copy magazines- The iPad fails in sunlight so a normal kindle is essential to beach day happiness. It also fails in that I have to turn it off during take-off and landing- good to always have at least one hardcopy magazine or book on hand to read at that time.
-The good ol’ 3-1-1 rule. I am obsessed with travel sized toiletries- today I found my favorite lotion in toilet size and almost leapt for joy. Everything has to be 3.4 oz or less but these days you can find anything in that size! Look closer! Better to buy $10 good sunscreen here than crappy sunscreen on the beach for 15 euro. And see if you can get a sample of your favorite perfume at the department store to take instead of the large bottle. Genius!
-Almonds (or whatever your go to snack is)- I recently started carrying a bag of almonds wherever I go and it makes me a much happier person. If I’m hungry running through the airport or 30 minutes before the end of the flight I don’t have to starve or buy gross, over-priced fast food. I can just have a few and it leaves me satisfied while I figure out where my next meal is coming from.
-My magic wine opener- Doesn’t have a blade for cutting the foil on bottles so it’s allowed on planes. Found at Fred Meyer in Seattle. One of my prized possessions.
-Last-minute/first-aid- The nifty little capsule in the lower right holds a few bandaids, some aleve, Advil PM for combating jetlag, a few bobby pins, and a rubberband in case I want to throw my hair up. Not a huge deal but they are my creature comforts and I feel better having them on me. Same goes for the Kleenex, wipes, and Zyrtec.


And there you have it. Two bags, and I’m ready for adventure. I have not too much stuff, not too little. Just what will make me feel comfortable and stylish for every last museum, city stroll, nice dinner, or gelato break. And there will be a lot of gelato breaks. Ciao!

Connect to AndBubblegum Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...